Three years ago, a 2-year-old little boy died after a dresser his parents purchased from Ikea fell on him.
According to USA Today, as a result of 2-year-old Jozef Dudek’s death in 2017, the boy’s parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Ikea. It was reported on January 6 by USA Today, ABC News, and NBC News that Ikea has now agreed to pay the family $46 million dollars.
Joleen Dudek’s attorneys claim that the settlement is historic. They believe that it is the largest settlement resulting from the wrongful death of a child to take place in the United States.
One of the attorneys, Alan Feldman, told ABC News that the parents had even secured the furniture to the wall hoping that would ensure their child’s safety.
“Our clients were extremely safety-conscious. They baby-proofed their home, and they had even secured other furniture in their home to the wall if they thought it presented any risk of tipping over.” He added:
“However, when they purchased the three-drawer MALM dresser from Ikea in 2008, they never suspected that this small, short dresser could be an instrument of death.”
And as ABC News reports, Jozef isn’t the only child to have died as a result of faulty furniture from Ikea, but he was the first. Since 2016, a reported eight children have passed away after faulty furniture from Ikea has fallen on them.
Joleen said in a personal statement, “We miss him so much. He would be turning 5 this year in April.”
“While no settlement can alter the tragic events that brought us here, for the sake of the family and all involved, we’re grateful that this litigation has reached a resolution. We remain committed to working proactively and collaboratively to address this very important home safety issue. Again, we offer our deepest condolences.”
The donation will be made in honor of Jozef.